Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 4: Deer Park to Hot Springs

10/12/2010
We woke at dawn to enjoy a leisurely breakfast of instant oatmeal (and in my case, ibuprofen). We said goodbye to our shelter mates and wished them Happy Trails. We took our time packing camp before beginning our 3.2 mile trek into Hot Springs. It was mostly downhill (of course). The ibuprofen cut the edge of my knee pain though, so I was able to keep a good pace with Brent. We made good time and arrived in Hot Springs in time for lunch. Yay! The AT goes right through downtown Hot Springs. We crossed a road and then followed the AT markers in the sidewalk into town and to the public lot where our Jeep was parked. I was so relieved to take that pack off for the last time! Brent suggested that we eat before going to the campground. I agreed because I was ravenous. I was also hesitant because I knew I was dirty and smelled unpleasant. Brent did his best to convince me to just change clothes in the Jeep and I would be fine. My hunger finally caused me to acquiesce, so I threw a blanket over me so I could change clothes without being seen. I was not thrilled about that. After changing into normal clothes and braiding my hair, Brent insisted that I didn't look like someone who had just come off of the AT. Well...what can I say? Flattery goes a long way.

We went back to the Smoky Mountain Cafe and ordered vegetable plates. They came with your choice of four vegetables and a slice of cornbread. I ordered a fifth vegetable. I was hungry. Don't judge. I ate everything on my plate except the cornbread, which Brent thought was a mortal sin, so I took a bite of it to say I had at least tried everything on my plate.

I hiked 21 miles(23 if you count the two miles from "the mistake") from Max Patch to Hot Springs, NC, slept in a primitive shelter or tent, gathered firewood from the forest, learned to relieve myself in the woods, learned how to filter water, and pushed myself harder physically, mentally, and emotionally than I ever have before. The experience was worth every moment of pain and discomfort, every awe-inspiring moment when I saw gorgeous views of the back-country in its autumn glory, every heart-stopping moment when I would stumble on a root or rock, steady myself and glance down at the steep drop off beside me, and every heart melting moment when Brent would smile at me, so happy because I was sharing one of his greatest joys in life. I am humbled by my journey and inspired. I feel accomplished and proud...and a little beaten down. I will never forget this experience, my first adventure on the Appalachian Trail. I am already planning next year's hike (double mileage). I am hooked!

I am Baby Doe, wife and hiking partner to Indiana Buck, and we are BOTH AT section hikers!

No comments:

Post a Comment